Although we are all pre-health individuals, I think it is important to occasionally step back and remember what brings us happiness outside of our studies. It is so easy to get overwhelmed by the whole process involved in pursuing a professional degree. We frequently think about the exams or deadlines we are stressed about, but how often do we think about the things that make us smile? A positive attitude goes a long way, especially on a track that can be very rigorous and demanding.
On that note, I’d like to share some things that make me happy:
1. Asian food. Pad thai, sushi, and milk tea are just a few of my favorite things.
2. Playing ultimate frisbee. I never feel more confident than I do when I’m out on the field. I feel like the most pure version of myself while I am playing because I am 100% focused on being in the moment.
3. Reading. To be honest, undergrad temporarily ruined reading for me. With hundreds of assigned pages per night, it was hard to enjoy reading without feeling stressed. Now that I have graduated, I enjoy reading what I want when I want, and it has helped me spark my love of learning again.
4. Drake. I genuinely enjoy every single one of his songs. Some of my favorites include “Club Paradise” and “Furthest Thing.” My favorite album of his is Nothing Was The Same, but I really do love them all. I got to see him in concert for my 21st birthday and it was a dream come true!
5. My cat. Last but certainly not least, my little Maui is the love of my life. (Apologies to my wonderful boyfriend but she was here first). She is a very crazy kitty, but she is always down to cuddle. 😻 Don’t worry, I won’t leave you guys hanging… here’s a picture of Maui atop my old Organic Chemistry textbook:
Thanks for reading! I strongly encourage you to reflect on what makes you happy. This activity was a great stress-reliever for me and it also boosted my mood quite a bit. Feel free to list your sources of happiness out in the comments; I’d love to read them!